Tuesday, September 7, 2010

tips to cycle 100 miles

1. Eat alot.
2. Apply Butt Butter liberally. Before, during and after.
3. Ride two inches off of Charlie's back wheel for 99 miles.
4. Walk down people with carbon fiber bikes and Ironman tattoos- count them, pass and smile.
5. Stop at each rest stop- every 20 miles. Eat one of everything on table, two if its something you actually want to eat, like oatmeal creme cookies. (which I will never eat another one again)
6. Don't find out until mile 89 that you are actually riding 106 miles.
7. Constantly compare current ride to last month's nightmare 75 mile mountainous and mechanically cursed ride.
8. Have Charlie's cycle computer not work due to operator error. This means he can not constantly push the speed higher.
9. Eat some more, even though you don't like bananas or peanut butter.
10. Drink water. Do not drink only gatorade, unless you want the one hour drive home to include as many rest stops as the bike ride.
11. New high performance tires... $130
12. Slow down, look up and enjoy scenery occassionally.

I can say I did it, but really 100 is no more fun than any 50 miler. Plus today I am absolutely paying for an electrolyte imbalance.

Tour de Moore
6:12 ride time, 7 hours total, 106 miles. 17 mph average.

2 comments:

  1. pretty amazing all things considered.
    hope you get your balance back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I can barely make it 4 miles (though, I do tow 75lbs of kids). Good job.

    ReplyDelete