Monday, December 14, 2009

Meet Sam







Sam is Laceys half brother. They have the same mother, Shania, but Sam was born about a year later. His father is Beau and his grand sire is Ace -the best German shorthair in the country this year.
He is awesome. A show champion himself he weighs in at 74 pounds, not much of a hunter and occassionally very goofy. His head is solid liver and thick like a big male's should be. His eyes are big dark and almond shaped. He has a color variance that could be a disqualification in tougher dog shows, pretty much amounts to something between a scar and a birth mark.
It was obvious I was going to get more dogs just didn't think a puppy was a good idea and Lacey needed a friend sooner rather than later. So when I found out Sam was available there was no hesitation. He fits right in here too. Lacey didn't even grumble when he moved in on her space, her kennel, her toys or her mommas lap. They must know they are siblings. They play all day- they chase, wrestle, tug of war, play keep away, and team up to lick me to death.
Sam is very sweet but I wouldn't call him gentle. He has certain quirks. He will put his big paws on your chest and creep into your face space and just stare at you, like he wants you to tell him a secret. If you are sitting or laying down he will tackle you, roll his body into you and smother you. This is where Lacey comes in with the licking!
I have to teach him the vocabulary of the house. He obviosuly knows "no" "drop it" "kennel" and "stay" but Lacey knows alot more like go to bed, in the house, get in the car, kiss, wheres your baby, gimme that, and lay down. So while he doesn't know not to run out the front door the good thing is that he isn't a hunter like Lacey and probably is better with "come". He has has trimmed nails, I like that alot. So far I have yelled at him, dropped pans near him, pinched his skin, bit his jowls and tugged his feet he is completely reactionless. He doesnt bark back at the neighbors dogs, neither of my dogs do. Frankly I'm not sure he is all there, and when he plays it looks like a rodeo bull spinning.
Lacey doesn't follow me around all day now, doesn't stare at me with sad eyes, or beg at every meal. They play together, tire each other out, and fall asleep.
He costs me about a dollar a day in food and a few more bucks in dog sitting but I am alot less anxious about leaving Lacey because I know she has a friend- a brother- with her. I don't have his papers because Dorothea wanted to keep them, and he may still go to shows some weekends and he is available to stud since he is an Ace bloodline. I get half stud fees.

So happy with my little house full of shorthairs (jury is still out if he sheds as much as Lacey). Lots of exciting things going on too,stuff that makes me believe it will actually all be ok for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment