Friday, March 13, 2009

Nightmares

I realized after I woke up this morning that I am having a reoccuring dream. For some reason I had previously dismissed these dreams as silly but they are so blatantly obvious.

I dream that Wiley's house is on fire. And there is nothing I can do about it, either nothing I try works, I can't find the babies to get them out, and once I dreamt so vividly that I was being held back I was swinging at imaginary tethers in my bed. Last night Elizabeth lived in a green (circa 1970s) split level house with Escher-esque stair cases. I noticed a fire in the floor boards of the playroom where the babies and I were playing. I left to go get a bucket of water -the five gallon type (as if that would help, I felt inadequate but had to do what I could). But when I returned I couldn't find the right staircase to get to the room again. By then other small spots about the size of tennis balls appeared all over the house- in the floor, ceiling, walls, furniture started to glow orange. By no means realistic fire behavior. I ran around the house and put out the fires but others would pop up across the room; like a whack a mole game.

I guess this type of dreams are probably very common in my line of work.

2 comments:

  1. you should keep that to yourself probably. at least away from Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh that's awful, but very nice of you to have these dreams for us.
    i have them too, sometimes I'm not even fully asleep. I have horrible nightmares about saving wiley and archer from horrible situations, fires included. so horrible.

    ReplyDelete